The key objectives of this project are listed in the following:
- To create awareness among the provincial departments about the Pakistan Environmental Protection (PEPA) Act, 1997
- To organize trainings for the capacity building of provincial departments for conducting Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Environmental Assessment (EA) and Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)
As far as the relationship of project objectives with sectoral objectives is concerned, the following provisions of the Pakistan Environmental Protection Act 1997 and the National Environmental Policy, 2005 demonstrate the desired relationship.
The section 6 (1) of PEPA 1997 in its sub sections (q) and (t) states:
- (q) Promote public education and awareness of environmental issues through mass media and other means including seminars and workshops
- (t) Take or cause to be taken all necessary measures for the protection, conservation, rehabilitation and improvement of the environment, prevention and control of pollution and promotion
It is mandatory for all Government Departments to obtain Environmental Approval under Section 12 of the Pakistan Environmental Protection Act, 1997 at pre-feasibility/planning stage to avoid inconvenience as no construction preliminary or otherwise, relating to project shall be undertaken until and unless the Environmental Approval has been obtained by the Environmental Protection Agency, Government of the Punjab.
The environmental assessment reports list possible environmental impacts of the project and suggest mitigation measures to make it environmentally friendly and to achieve the essence of sustainable development. Other prerequisites are:
- To review the EIA/IEE reports of public and private sectors as per IEE/EIA Regulations 2000 and Guidelines for preparation and review of IEE/EIA reports, as it is a mandatory requirement under section 12 of PEPA, 1997
- To conduct EIA/IEE of the projects to be initiated by the public and private sectors and suggest measures to safeguard the environment
- To conduct EIA plans of industrial establishment and to ensure that requirements of environment and public health safety are adopted and executed
- Monitoring of the public and private sector projects to check the compliance status as and when required by the competent authorities